These delightful chocolate sugar cookies are not your average treats. Instead of the traditional sugar coating, they are rolled in colorful sprinkles, giving them a satisfying crunch and a charming rainbow finish. With their resemblance to crinkle cookies, these chocolate sprinkle sugar cookies are incredibly easy to make and guaranteed to be a hit!
The Inspiration Behind Chocolate Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
Hey there! First off, I must apologize for the brightness of these images. Who knew it was a brilliant idea to roll neon sprinkles on dark cookies? Well, guilty as charged – it was my idea. Nevertheless, I couldn’t resist sharing this recipe because these cookies are too good to keep to myself, even if editing the images left my retinas a little burned.
Let me tell you a little secret about my husband – he’s like a big kid at heart. He adores plain baked goods, cartoons, cereal, and, most importantly, hundreds and thousands of sprinkles. Whenever I bake something for the blog, he can’t help but make his own batch of what we affectionately call “shitty chocolate icing.” It’s a simple mixture of icing sugar, cocoa, a hint of butter, and boiling water, generously spread on whatever I’ve made, and then completely smothered in nonpareils sprinkles. In fact, I keep a large jar of sprinkles in the pantry just for him, and he’ll sprinkle them on anything and everything.
So, you can imagine his excitement when I decided to roll a couple of chocolate sugar cookies in sprinkles out of curiosity. To our delight, they turned out absolutely perfect! He insisted that I share this recipe on the blog, and that’s how these chocolate sprinkle sugar cookies came to be. Eating them brings back memories of fairy bread, a classic New Zealand birthday party treat consisting of buttered white bread covered in sprinkles. It’s both delicious and nostalgic.
How to Make Chocolate Sugar Cookies
These cookies are essentially chocolate sugar cookies rolled in sprinkles, but trust me, they are worth their own spotlight on the internet just for fun. The recipe is a variation of these cookies, which itself was inspired by my friend Sarah’s book and happens to be a personal favorite of mine. For these chocolate sprinkle sugar cookies, I simply increased the amount of flour to give them a slightly thicker texture and rolled them in sprinkles just before baking. The process couldn’t be easier – roll the dough into balls, coat them entirely with sprinkles, place them on a baking sheet, and voila! You’re ready to enjoy these delightful treats. Bon appétit! 😄
A Few Tips for Chocolate Sugar Cookies
I don’t have much to say here, but I do have a couple of tips to make these cookies even better:
- Feel free to use any sprinkles you prefer, but I highly recommend nonpareils for the best results. You can find fun mixes of nonpareils here and here. I personally ordered them in bulk online for these cookies!
- Use your preferred type of cocoa powder. If you want an Oreo-like flavor, opt for black cocoa. Dutch cocoa will also work well, but regular cocoa is perfectly fine too. If you choose to use black cocoa, consider increasing the sugar by around 30 grams to balance out the bitterness.
- These cookies freeze well once baked! I currently have a stash in the freezer, and they store beautifully. Simply place them in a ziploc bag or airtight container for later enjoyment.
For More Sugar Cookie Recipes, Check Out:
- Earl Grey Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies
- Black Cocoa Sugar Cookie Sandwiches