Craft cocktails and other beverages often call for a sweetener like simple syrup, a basic syrup known for its ability to blend effortlessly with other ingredients. While there are many flavored syrups available in the market, creating your own at home can be both easy and cost-effective. In this post, we’ll explore a homemade cucumber syrup recipe that adds a refreshing twist to your drinks. This syrup was first used in the creation of the Hugo Mojito, a delightful cocktail crafted by John Langner of Helix Wine, Craft Bar, & Café in Altoona, Wisconsin. Let’s dive in and discover how to make this stovetop cucumber syrup!
About This Syrup
Simple syrup, also known as sugar syrup, is a versatile sweetener widely used in craft cocktails and other beverages. Traditionally, sugar was used in recipes, but simple syrups have gained popularity due to their ability to dissolve easily without leaving behind undissolved sugar crystals. Infusing simple syrups with fruits, herbs, and other additives allows for endless flavor combinations. By creating your own flavored syrups at home, you not only have control over the ingredients but can also save money.
To make this cucumber syrup, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- White Sugar: Used as a sweetener (C&H Premium Pure Cane Granulated Sugar is recommended).
- Cucumber Juice: The liquid extracted from fresh cucumbers.
How to Make This Syrup
When preparing syrups, I usually use the sous vide method. However, for this recipe, we’ll use the stovetop method since the sugar only needs a short amount of time to dissolve in the cucumber juice.
To make this syrup, you’ll need the following tools:
- Blender: Used for blending the ingredients (Cuisinart SPB-7CH SmartPowder Electronic Bar Blender is recommended).
- Measuring Cups: Essential for accurately measuring the ingredients (OXO 8 Piece Stainless Steel Measuring Cup Set and OXO Good Grips Silicone Measuring Cup Set are recommended).
- Food Scale: Provides precise measurement of ingredients (GDEALER Food Scale is recommended for its accuracy and compact size).
- Saucepan: The cooking vessel for the syrup ingredients (Cuisinart 3 Quart Stainless Steel Saucepan is recommended).
- Silicone Spatula: Ideal for stirring the syrup (OXO Good Grips Silicone Everyday Spatula is recommended for easy stirring and residue removal).
- Fine Mesh Strainer: Removes solid ingredients from the syrup during the transfer process (Barfly Stainless Steel Fine Mesh Strainer is recommended for efficient removal of small seeds and fruit pieces).
- Funnel: Ensures a mess-free transfer of syrup to storage containers (ANNIOCA Silicone Food Grade Funnel is recommended for its flexibility and ease of storage).
- Squeeze Bottle: Used to store the syrup in the refrigerator for immediate use (OXO Good Grips Squeeze Bottles are recommended for their high quality).
- Storage Pouch with Pouring Spout: Stores extra syrup in the freezer for later use (OHMAXHO 16 oz Reusable Plastic Pouches are recommended for their sturdy material and secure sealing).
Now that we have our ingredients and tools ready, let’s proceed with the step-by-step instructions for making this refreshing cucumber syrup.
- Begin by blending fresh cucumber juice with white sugar in the blender until the sugar is dissolved completely.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and heat it on the stovetop over medium heat.
- Stir the syrup occasionally with a silicone spatula until it reaches a gentle simmer. Be careful not to let it boil.
- Once the syrup has simmered for a few minutes and the sugar is fully dissolved, remove it from the heat.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a storage container and carefully pour the syrup through the strainer to remove any solid pieces.
- Use a silicone spatula to press down on the solids in the strainer, extracting as much syrup as possible.
- Transfer the strained syrup to a squeeze bottle for immediate use or to a storage pouch with a pouring spout for freezing.
- Allow the syrup to cool completely before refrigerating or freezing.
- Your homemade cucumber syrup is now ready to add a refreshing twist to your favorite cocktails and beverages!
By following these simple steps, you can create a delightful cucumber syrup that will elevate your drinks to new heights. Enjoy the fresh flavors and creative possibilities that this homemade syrup brings to your mixology adventures!
For more exciting recipes and ideas, visit Ratingperson: Ratingperson