Having been observed for more than 1,440 years, the Muslim lunar calendar decides the date of the Islamic New Year, which is set to fall this week.
The Islamic calendar follows a 30-year cycle, with 19 years of 354 days and 11 leap years of 355 days, so it falls on a different day on the Gregorian calendar every year.
The Islamic Calendar started a count of the years from the year 622.
The Islamic New Year, this year, will begin on the evening of Friday, July 29.
New Year’s Day is known as the First of Muharram in the lunar calendar, and the date is chosen to coincide with the expected first sighting of the lunar crescent after the New Moon in the month of Muharram.
How can you join in the well-wishing if you have friends, family, or neighbours celebrating? Here, Metro.co.uk has rounded up the best Islamic New Year wishes.
Quotes to celebrate Islamic New Year
- Let us praise Allah now and every day for all the mercy he has shown upon us. Have a blissful year.
- May we all become Allah’s favourite creations in this life and in the afterlife. Happy Hijri new year.
- We must remember that the real Hijrah today is to turn away from the evil which is forbidden from Allah and His Messenger.
- May Allah give you the strength to live justly and Keep you safe from all evil forces. Wish you and your family Hijri New Year.
- As the Muharram comes again, I’m sending you all my love and prayers. May Allah protect you from every trouble.
- The network of Paradise is Islam, Sim is faith, the bonus is Ramadan, the reserve is prayer, and the helpline is Quran.
Messages to celebrate Islamic New Year
- On the auspicious day of Muharram, may Allah bless you with health, wealth, peace and happiness!
- Wishing you and your family a New Year full of peace, happiness, and abundance of all. May Allah bless you throughout the new year. Muharram Mubarak! May Allah Almighty shower his blessing on the Muslim Ummah and all Islamic countries.
- May all praise and thanks be to Allah, who is in the heavens and on earth. Wishing you and your family Happy Hijri New Year.
- I pray for you and your family’s happiness and prosperity, May you all have a wonderful year ahead. Happy New Hijri year to you.
- May the beginning of the Islamic New Year bring you more opportunities for prosperity and progress. Happy Hijri New Year.
- May the festivities in your life never end, May there always shine and shine around you. Wishing you a Happy Islamic New Year.
- Happy Islamic New Year to all. May everyone’s life be filled with the light of Islam on the special day of the Islamic Hijri New Year.
- Wishing Happy Islamic New Year to all. May this new year bring lots of peace, prosperity, and happiness to the world.
- I pray for your success and prosperity on the auspicious occasion of the Islamic New Year, May all your dreams come true.
- As the Hijri New Year begins, let us pray that it will be a year full of peace, happiness, and abundance of new friends. May Allah bless you throughout the new year.
How to greet someone during Islamic New Year
‘Kul aam wa anatom bekhayr’ is a traditional greeting which translates to ‘I wish you well on this occasion every year’.
If someone wishes you a Happy New Year, you can reply with ‘wa anta bekhayr’, which means, ‘and I wish you to be well, as well’
MORE : When is Islamic New Year, what is it called and what year is it in Islam?
MORE : Could the Islamic ritual of waking up to pray in the early hours be a secret wellness hack?
Follow Metro across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Share your views in the comments below