God knows you don’t plan on remembering your 21st birthday party the next morning, so one of the most entertaining traditions is to make a 21st birthday shot book.
You can document every shot, every stranger, and every slip-up. Because even though you’ll regret the play-by-play the morning after, once you’ve recovered from the hangover, you’ll be reminiscing over this for years to come. Especially when the other aspects of being 21 start to settle in – like bills, stock investments, and deciding what to name your third cat.
Getting Started with Your 21st Birthday Shot Book
Your 21st birthday shot book will be like a scrapbook with 21 pages, each dedicated to a different shot. As the pages fill up, you may struggle to keep a hold of it, let alone write in it. So the first step to making a shot book is to share the plan with your friends because they will most likely be the ones helping you finish it.
What Each Page of Your Shot Book Should Include
- The shot’s name
- Who bought the shot for you
- Where the shot was taken
- When the shot was taken
- A picture capturing the moment the shot was taken
But before all this happens, you might want to take a few preparation steps! Add decorations to the scrapbook that reflect your personality and print out some clear-headed photos of yourself to include.
It’s important to remember that according to Clayton Neighbors, a psychology professor at the University of Houston, less than 10 percent of people who attempt to take 21 shots actually succeed. So don’t feel pressured by the blank pages, because this drinking game is more about participation than reaching a specific number.
Making the Most of Your 21st Birthday Shot Book
Once you’re ready to make memories that you’ll likely forget somewhere around shot #8, you can start collecting more content for your shot book. Here are some suggestions:
Ask the bartender for the shot recipe and score it from 1-10, capturing your reaction with a photo of bottoms up.
Jot down funny conversations or memorable quotes that happen during the night.
Take pictures with strangers and have them sign as witnesses to your shot.
Collect souvenirs from the places you barhop, like bar napkins, drink straws, or business cards.
Have your friends write you messages, turning your shot book into a personalized yearbook with a twist.
Include quotes about turning 21, like our ten favorite birthday ideas below:
- “It’s only good if you don’t remember it. One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.”
- “You are only young once, but you can be immature for a lifetime.”
- “Finally 21, and legally able to do everything I’ve been doing since 15.”
- “21 and hot, buy me a shot!”
- “First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you.”
- “I don’t have a drinking problem, ‘Cept when I can’t get a drink.”
- “Tonight, all the focus will be on you—it’s just as well because you won’t be able to focus on anything.”
- “Now you are 21 you can do things that you couldn’t have done before… or should I say, shouldn’t have done before.”
- “I like to savor a martini, two at the very most. After three, I’m under the table; after four, I’m under my host.”
- “21 and legal. Proceed with caution.”
By the end of the night, you’ll have a beautifully crafted keepsake made by your best friends, ready to be shared all over social media.
Gifts for Your 21st Birthday
If you’re looking for some fun gifts to complement your 21st birthday celebration, consider the following options:
- “I’m 21 Bitches” Shot Glass
- Finally 21 Wine Labels
- 21st Birthday Tiara
- 21st Birthday Mason Jar
- 21st Birthday Charm Bracelet
With these memorable items, your 21st birthday will be even more unforgettable.