Ready in just 20 minutes, these BBQ Grilled Shrimp Skewers (BBQ Prawns) are perfect for a quick and impressive weeknight meal. Pair them with a glass of white wine and a side of Rocket Salad With Parmesan, Watermelon Feta Salad with Basil and Cucumber, or Greek Cucumber Salad. They are the ultimate summer dish and a delightful addition to any summer dinner table.
Difference Between Shrimp and Prawns
Although they have a similar taste, shrimp and prawns are scientifically different species. Prawns are larger and live in freshwater, while shrimp generally live in saltwater. Prawns are slightly sweeter and more expensive than shrimp. In the UK, prawn is the more common term, while shrimp refers to a small crustacean used for making potted shrimps. In Canada or the US, shrimp is the preferred term.
Why This Recipe Works?
- These BBQ Grilled Shrimp Skewers – BBQ Prawns make for a wonderfully delicious summer dining experience.
- They’re easy to prepare and can be cooked on the BBQ, grill, or stovetop.
- This delicious BBQ shrimp recipe is extremely easy and cooks in minutes, making it perfect for busy nights.
- You can serve these shrimp kebabs as a main dish, snack, or appetizer.
- BBQ Grilled Shrimp Skewers are packed with fresh Mediterranean flavors that the whole family will love.
How to Clean and Prepare the Shrimp?
To clean the shrimp, remove the head by firmly grasping it with one hand while holding the body with the other. Peel off the shell and the remaining outer layer, then gently pull off the legs and remove the tail. For this BBQ Grilled Shrimp Skewers recipe, it’s recommended to keep the tail intact, but you can remove it for a cleaner approach. To devein the shrimp, use a sharp small knife to create a small incision down the length of the back.
For more detailed guidance on peeling and deveining raw shrimp, refer to the attached short video on the recipe card. Once the shrimp are shelled and deveined, you can store them in the freezer for up to three months.
Ingredients for BBQ Shrimp Skewers Recipe
Please scroll down to the recipe card below for the full list of ingredients with measurements, complete recipe method, notes, and nutritional information.
- Shrimp: Fresh jumbo shrimp or raw tiger prawns are the best options for making shrimp skewers. Select large, raw head-on shrimp for grilling.
- Olive oil: Use olive oil for a simple and flavorful marinade. Avocado oil or vegetable oil can be substitutes.
- Butter: Adds extra flavor to the grilled prawns, especially when infused with garlic and chilies.
- Garlic: The main flavor note in this barbecue shrimp recipe. Finely chop fresh garlic cloves before adding them to the butter.
- Lemon: Adds a fresh Mediterranean touch to the shrimp. Use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best flavor, and consider adding lemon zest for an intensified taste.
- Parsley: Finely chopped flat-leaf or curly parsley provides added freshness. Other herbs like coriander, dill, chives, chervil, or basil can be added too.
- Seasoning: Keep it simple with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add red pepper flakes, chili powder, creole seasoning, or cajun seasoning for extra heat.
How to Make BBQ Grilled Shrimp Skewers
This BBQ Shrimp with garlic recipe is very easy to make. To grill them without overcooking, follow these simple steps:
Prepare and Marinate the Shrimp
Soak bamboo skewers in water for at least half an hour to prevent them from burning. Peel the fresh shrimp, leaving the tail intact, and devein them. Place the shrimp on a flat surface and make a shallow cut down the middle of the back, but not all the way through. Repeat for the remaining shrimp. In a medium-sized bowl, combine olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the shrimp to the bowl and let them marinate while preparing the garlicky butter sauce.
Prepare the Garlicky Butter Sauce
Place a medium-sized pan on low heat and add the butter. Melt the butter gently and add chopped garlic, chilies, parsley, and salt. Let them infuse on low heat while grilling the prawns.
Grill the Shrimp
Preheat the outdoor grill or indoor grill pan to medium-high heat. Thread the marinated shrimp onto skewers while the grill is heating. Cook each side for about one minute, then remove the shrimp from the skewers and toss them in the garlicky butter sauce. Cook for another minute, or until the shrimp is opaque and white/pink. Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve the sautéed shrimp immediately on bread with a side of salad.
Top Tips From the Chef
- Use fresh raw shell-on shrimp for the best results. If using frozen shrimp, make sure to thaw them before grilling and consume them the same day.
- Soak bamboo skewers for at least half an hour before threading the shrimp to prevent them from burning.
- Shrimp cook quickly, usually 2-3 minutes per side. Cooking time depends on the size of the shrimp. Overcooked shrimp can become tough and rubbery, so avoid cooking them for too long.
- Peeling shrimp before marinating helps infuse them with flavor and keeps them juicy when grilling. However, you can leave the shell on to save time.
What to Serve with BBQ Grilled Shrimp Skewers?
My favorite way to enjoy these grilled shrimp skewers is with some crusty bread and a side salad. Check out some of my recipes for fantastic side dish ideas:
- Black Pepper Sourdough Focaccia
- Turkish Bread – Ramazan Pidesi
- Tawa Naan With Garlic
- Piyaz (Turkish Bean Salad)
- Greek Pita Bread
- Lebanese Fattoush Salad
- Spicy Thai Mango Salad
- Easy Chicken Macaroni Salad
- Warm Austrian Potato Salad
Storage and Reheating
If you have leftover cooked shrimp skewers, let them cool to room temperature, then transfer them to an airtight container and refrigerate within 2 hours. Consume the leftovers within 2-3 days for the best quality.
To freeze the cooked shrimp skewers, let them cool completely and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Once firm, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or resealable freezer bag. Label with the date and freeze for up to 2-3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
To reheat refrigerated or frozen shrimp skewers, gently warm them on a grill, stovetop, or in the oven until heated through. Be careful not to overcook them, as this can make them tough and rubbery.
For more delicious seafood recipes, try out:
- Cajun Chicken and Shrimp Pasta
- Baked Prawns (Karides Guvec)
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below and tag @cookingorgeous on Instagram, and hashtag it #cookingorgeous. Enjoy making and eating these garlicky Grilled Shrimp Skewers! Bon appétit! / Afiyet Olsun!
This post uses affiliate links to support our site.