Where to Stay in Melbourne for Sightseeing
For first-time visitors to Melbourne, one of the best places to stay is either the city center or Southbank, with its restaurants, cafés, and lively events calendar. These tourist-friendly areas are close to prime attractions such as Federation Square; the Royal Botanic Gardens; and the labyrinth of laneways and shopping arcades around Flinders, Collins, and Bourke Streets. Here are some highly rated hotels in these areas:
- Steps away from St. Patrick’s Cathedral and Fitzroy Gardens, the plush Park Hyatt is one of Melbourne’s best hotels. Shops and restaurants lie a short stroll away, and sports fans can walk to the Melbourne Cricket Ground and Melbourne Park.
- Exuding elegance and old-world charm, The Langham, Melbourne is a romantic choice in Southbank overlooking the Yarra River. In your spare time, you can swim in the indoor pool topped by a glass roof, dine in the excellent on-site restaurant, and walk to popular shopping and entertainment venues.
- Also in Southbank, the serviced apartments of Quay West Suites are a favorite with families.
- A couple of blocks from the famous Queen Victoria Market, the Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens has a tram stop on its doorstep and offers great value within walking distance of shops and restaurants.
- Also steps away from a free tram and a five-minute walk from outlet shopping, Alto Hotel on Bourke is Australia’s first carbon-neutral hotel. Its modern apartments are a great choice for families.
- A five-minute walk from Federation Square, the boutique Adelphi Hotel surprises guests with its contemporary style and personal touches.
- Near Melbourne Park, the family-run City Centre Budget Hotel offers excellent value, with a rooftop kitchen and plenty of public transport options on its doorstep.
- Within walking distance of Flinders Street Station, the Ibis Budget Melbourne CBD has basic rooms but a fantastic location.
- Also in the budget price range, Essence Hotel Carlton lies two tram stops away from the CBD and only a five-minute walk from the Melbourne Museum, IMAX Theatre, and the Free Tram Zone. The rooms are tiny but clean, and the beds are comfy.