If you’re in search of an extraordinary cake that will truly make a statement, look no further than this Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Filling. With its luscious strawberry filling and delightful whipped cream frosting, this cake is destined to steal the spotlight as the centerpiece of any dessert table.
What’s in Vanilla Cake with Strawberry Filling?
Let’s be real, cake is always a good idea, and this white layer cake is no exception! The vanilla cake is light and airy, while the fresh strawberry filling takes it to a whole new level of deliciousness.
- Fresh Strawberries: These provide a burst of rich, fresh strawberry flavor to the filling and add a beautiful touch to the cake’s presentation.
- Water: Hydrates the cornstarch and helps to thicken the filling.
- Cornstarch: Acts as a thickening agent for the filling.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar sweetens both the strawberry filling and the white cake, while powdered sugar is used to sweeten the whipped cream frosting without making it grainy.
- Kosher Salt: Enhances the natural flavors of the strawberries and the cake.
- Lemon Juice: Balances out the sweetness of the strawberries. Fresh lemon juice is recommended for the best results.
- Food Coloring: If desired, red food coloring can be used to enhance the natural color of the strawberry filling.
- Heavy Whipping Cream: Forms the base of the light and fluffy frosting.
- Cream Cheese: Adds structure and a tangy flavor to the frosting.
- Vanilla Extract: Elevates the flavor of both the frosting and the cake.
- Almond Extract: Provides a subtle nuttiness to the frosting and the cake.
- Bleached Cake Flour: This lower-protein flour makes the cake incredibly light and tender. Using bleached cake flour helps maintain a pristine white color. Swan’s Down cake flour is a personal favorite.
- Unsalted Butter: Adds richness, moisture, and flavor to the cake.
- Virgin Coconut Oil: Enhances moisture and tenderness, making the cake irresistibly soft.
- Leavening: A combination of baking powder and baking soda gives the cake an extra light and fluffy texture.
- Egg Whites: Add structure to the cake without affecting its color.
- Buttermilk: Cultured low-fat buttermilk provides moisture and a touch of tanginess without making the cake overly heavy.
For the base White Layer Cake, we highly recommend Stella Parks’ recipe for White Mountain Layer Cake. It is truly the BEST white cake recipe out there! Trust us, we’re not exaggerating. You can find her book here.
Variations on Strawberry Filled White Cake
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can easily switch up the fruit in the filling. Simply substitute an equal amount (by weight) of your fruit of choice. Raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries would be excellent alternatives!
You can also experiment with different frostings. For a lighter option, try our stabilized whipped cream recipe. If you prefer a richer frosting, our vanilla frosting, cream cheese frosting, or strawberry cream cheese frosting would be wonderful choices!
How to Make Ahead
While this cake may seem like a lot of work, you have options for streamlining the preparation. You can either assemble and serve it on the same day, or you can make the different components ahead of time and assemble the cake when you’re ready to serve.
- Strawberry Filling: Can be made up to 5 days in advance.
- Frosting: Can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead.
- Cakes: Bake these 24 hours prior to assembling the cake.
How to Store and Freeze
To enjoy this white layer cake at its best, we recommend serving it within 6 hours of assembling. However, if you do have any leftovers, simply cover them and store them in the fridge for 3-4 days. The cake may dry out slightly, but it will still be delicious!
To freeze the cake, wrap it in two layers of plastic wrap and one layer of aluminum foil. You can keep it frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before indulging in a slice of pure bliss.
To truly enhance the strawberry flavor, serve this cake with dollops of tangy lemon curd or a drizzle of zesty lemon sauce.
Pairing options are endless! Enjoy a slice with a refreshing glass of oat milk, a Starbucks Pink Drink, or a glass of chilled strawberry lemonade. For a boozy twist, try it with strawberry margarita punch, strawberry frosé, or strawberry Palomas.
More Strawberry Cake Recipes We Love
If you’re a fan of strawberry desserts, you’ll adore these other mouthwatering recipes:
- Fresh Strawberry Cake
- Strawberry Buttermilk Cake
- Strawberry Pound Cake
- Strawberry Lemonade Poke Cake
So, what are you waiting for? Get ready to create a cake that will leave your taste buds begging for more. Head over to Ratingperson for more inspiration and to explore our incredible collection of recipes.