Considered the most dangerous narcotrafficker, terrorist, and politician in the world, Pablo Escobar was the founder and leader of the notorious Medellín Cartel. It has been 29 years since his death, and his life continues to inspire various series and movies. Let’s take a look at some of them and where you can watch them.
Who was Pablo Escobar?
Coming from a family of farmers, Escobar showcased remarkable business skills. He began his criminal life in the late 1960s, engaging in smuggling activities. By the early 1980s, he had become involved in the production and distribution of marijuana and cocaine internationally.
After establishing his criminal enterprise and finding partners, Escobar founded the Medellín Cartel. At its peak, the organization monopolized the cocaine trade, controlling over 80% of global production and 60% of the illicit market in the United States.
Building his criminal empire made him the most powerful figure in the Colombian mafia, accumulating an immense fortune estimated at around $30 billion in assets and cash. For seven consecutive years, he was recognized as one of the world’s wealthiest individuals by Forbes magazine.
With such a captivating life, it is no wonder that Escobar’s story has been the subject of various fictional portrayals. Here are some of them and the platforms where you can watch them.
Series about Pablo Escobar
- ‘El Cartel de los Sapos’ (2008 – 2010) – Although Escobar is only mentioned, the first episode includes a recreation of his death and a real photo of him.
- ‘Pablo Escobar: El Patrón del Mal’ (2012) – Considered one of the best fictional portrayals of the capo, this series delves into the dark side of Escobar’s life. It features performances by Hernán Mauricio Ocampo (young Escobar), Mauricio Mejía (adolescent Escobar), and Andrés Parra (adult Escobar). Originally broadcast in Colombia on Caracol, it is now available on Netflix.
- ‘Los Tres Caínes’ (2013) – Escobar is portrayed by Colombian actor Juan Pablo Franco.
- ‘Alias el Mexicano’ (2013) – Escobar is mentioned as Pablo.
- ‘El Señor de los Cielos’ (2013 – 2020) – Andrés Parra portrays Escobar in this series.
- ‘Sobreviviendo a Escobar, alias JJ’ (2015) – Juan Pablo Franco takes on the role of Escobar.
- ‘Narcos’ (2015 – 2017) – Brazilian actor Wagner Moura portrays Escobar in seasons 1 and 2, with a brief appearance in season 3. This Netflix series gained immense popularity.
- ‘Bloque de Búsqueda’ (2016) – Arturo Álvarez plays the role of Escobar in this Colombian series produced by Teleset and Sony Pictures Television for UniMás and RCN Televisión.
- ‘El Chapo’ (2017 – 2018) – Mauricio Mejía portrays Escobar in this Netflix series.
- ‘El General Naranjo’ (2019 – ) – Colombian actor Federico Rivera takes on the role of Escobar in this Fox Premium production.
Movies about Pablo Escobar
- ‘Get Shorty’ (1995) – Miguel Sandoval portrays Mr. Escobar.
- ‘Blow’ (2001) – New Zealand actor Cliff Curtis portrays Escobar.
- ‘Escobar: Paradise Lost’ (2014) – Spanish actor Benicio del Toro portrays Escobar.
- ‘American Made’ (2017) – Mauricio Mejía takes on the role of Escobar.
- ‘Loving Pablo’ (2017) – Directed by Spanish actor Javier Bardem, who also portrays Escobar, this movie is based on the book “Amando a Pablo, Odiando a Escobar” by journalist Virginia Vallejo.
For more information on Pablo Escobar, and to explore other reviews and ratings, visit Ratingperson.